The recipe I want to share with you today came about because I don’t particularly care for cranberries and yet it seems the Thanksgiving and Christmas menus aren’t quite complete without them. When I found a recipe for salad with dried cranberries, that was my nod to acknowledge them. We no longer reserve this salad for holidays as it is one of our favorites. It may not have all the components every time but is still enjoyable even if there are no mandarin oranges or perhaps feta cheese, although both add a lot of flavor. Greens of any variety are good to use. Spinach, tender lettuce, field greens, etc. My favorite is freshly picked lettuce from my garden as it is so tender. When not in season, however, I use a variety of greens from the store.
The salad dressing recipe in the post Dress That Salad is the one we use for this particular salad.
Now for the recipe. I hope you enjoy it! What is your favorite holiday salad?
- 6 c or more mixed greens, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 – 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 c dried cranberries
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- Walnuts pieces or other desired nuts.
- Mix greens and vegetables. Add remaining ingredients. Toss. Top with oil and vinegar salad dressing.